Doncaster

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical and geographical information

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

 The Farndales of Doncaster

 

The following Farndales are associated with Doncaster:

 

 (Sir) William Farndale (FAR00038), was Vicar of Doncaster between about 1360 and 1420.

 

William Farndale (FAR00063)

 

Thomas Farndale (FAR00474)

 

James Farndale (FAR00669) who worked in animal husbandry and served with animals in both world wars

 

 

 

 

St George's Minster, Doncaster

 

http://www.doncasterminster.co.uk/

 

 

The Minster and Parish Church of St George, Doncaster, also known as Doncaster Minster, is a parish church in the Church of England. It is one of the Greater Churches.

 

Doncaster Minster stands right in the heart of the town, where it is thought that there has been a church since the 11th century. Even before there was a church, there had been continuous activity on the site dating back to at least AD71 making the site a rich repository of human history of local and national importance. In 2004 the church was designated as the Minster and Parish Church of St George by the Bishop of Sheffield.

 

The original 12th-century Norman building burnt down on the last day of February 1853. This fire resulted in the loss of the medieval library which was above the south porch.

 

The current building was designed by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1853 and constructed between 1854 and 1858 at a cost of £43,126 4s 5d.

 

It was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on 14 October 1858.

 

It is one of Doncaster's most architecturally important buildings evidenced by its Grade I listing and was described by Sir John Betjeman as "Victorian Gothic at its very best". It was given minster status by the Bishop of Sheffield on 17 June 2004.

 

Amongst its treasures are a clock by Dent (the designer of the Palace of Westminster Clock, more usually known as Big Ben) and a spectacular 5 manual organ by the renowned German organ builder Edmund Schulze (1824–1877).

 

The minster has eight bells with a tenor of 29 long cwt 2 qr 17 lb (3,321 lb or 1,506 kg).