Farndale: Earliest References

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FAR00001

 

 

A land fit only for wild beasts, and men who live like wild beasts.” 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

 Northwards from the Wolds, the windswept moors of Hambleton and Cleveland remain as they have been throughout pre-historic times, a refuge of broken peoples, a home of lost cultural causes.

 

Bede described the area as ‘vel bestiae commorari vel hommines bestialiter vivere conserverant.’ (‘A land fit only for wild beasts, and men who live like wild beasts.’).

 

Although there are many pre-historic remains on the North Yorkshire moors, it is to this day an area cut off. The Romans built roads around it and the Vikings skirted it also. When the Romans left and the Saxons and Vikings arrived, they did move into the dales and left their burial mounds and crosses across the moors.Thus the people who today come from the ‘dales on the moors’ of North Yorkshire have remained essentially English for several hundred years and developed very special characteristics. In many respects they remain to this day a unique English Tribe.

(Early man in NE Yorkshire, 1930 p 219-20 by F Elgee)

Farndale is not mentioned in Doomsday. But Kirby Moorside is and must have included Farndale.

 

 

Before the Conquest it was in the hands of Waltef who had a manor and 5 carucates at Fadmoor.

 

In 1086, Count Robert of Mortain held it and it was waste.

 

Later it fell into the hands of Hugh son of Baldric before passing first to Roger de Mowbray and later to William and then Nicholas de Stuteville in 1200.

 

Farndale then became part of the manor of Kirby Moorside.

(Victoria County History of Yorkshire).

 

 

 

Before the Conquest Orm held 5 carucates of land in KIRKBY MOORSIDE; these in 1086 had passed to Hugh son of Baldric. They were probably granted with other lands of Hugh's to Robert de Stutevill, for Kirkby Moorside afterwards formed part of the barony of Mowbray. Roger de Mowbray, son of Niel Daubeney, grantee of the Stutevill lands, was holding Kirkby Moorside in the reign of Henry II, when Robert de Stutevill, grandson of the first Robert, laid claim to the barony; Roger gave him Kirkby Moorside for 10 knights' fees in satisfaction of his claim.  This arrangement, however, was not ratified in the king's courts, and the dispute broke out again between William de Stutevill, son of Robert, and William de Mowbray, grandson of Roger, in 1200.  Finally, William de Mowbray confirmed the previous agreement and gave 9 knights' fees in augmentum.  Henceforward Kirkby Moorside was held of the Mowbrays by the heirs of the Stutevills till the end of the 14th century, when the overlordship came to the Crown through the forfeiture of the first Duke of Norfolk