James Farndale
Born 22 December 1885 












Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB



Follow this link to the Farndales of Tidkinhow


Here is a transcript of Jim’s diary recoding his emigration to Canada


 James Farndale son of Martin and Catherine Jane Farndale (FAR00364) of Tidkinhow Farm, born.

(PR and family knowledge)

James Farndale registered Guisbro District Jan-Mar 1886

(GRO Vol 9d page 422? - 1837 Online)


James Farndale, went to Alberta, Canada and then to California and Nevada, USA. Became State Senator for Nevada.


James Farndale, married Edna Adams on 25 Sep 1915.


Military Service:

He served in the US Army in France 1917 -1918.


Hazel Jane Farndale, born 1922 in California (FAR00881).

James Noel Farndale, born 1923 in California (FAR00889).

Mary Ellen Farndale, born 1926 in Nevada (FAR00902).

Gordon Elliott Farndale, born 1932 in Nevada (FAR00924).

Doris ?? Farndale, born 1935 in Nevada (FAR00938).



Former Senator James Farndale died in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 20 Jan 1967.

Edna Farndale (nee Adams), died, Austin Texas November 1979.
(all from letters and family knowledge)





James Farndale


James was the first member of the family to be born at Tidkinhow. He was born on 22 December 1885, the sixth child and the fourth son of Martin and Catherine Farndale. As with his siblings, he started school, aged 5, with his brothers and sisters and, at age 11, he went to Boosbeck, but unlike the rest except Kate, he on to Guisborough County School. On leaving school, he worked for a local farmer called Petch for a while, was a miner for a while and helped his father at Tidkinhow. He was always keen on learning and in his early days he was always studying and reading. He, like his siblings, would listen to all the talk about Canada and he would have seen that there was little hope for him at home.

Accordingly on 31 March 1913, Jim (as he was always called) sailed for Canada, aged 28 and joined his brothers Martin and George and his sister Kate. He spent two years in Canada and kept a diary of his journey out and of his first year.

However, he always wanted to improve his education and there wasn't much chance in those early days in Canada. So he decided to go on to USA. He 1915, he managed to get into Duluth High School from where he got himself a place at Valpraiso University in Indiana. It was on 20 January 1917 at the university that he met Edna Adams whom he married on 25 September 1917.


When the USA declared war on Germany in 1917, he joined the American Army and went to France. Very little is known of his military service except that he caught a very bad dose of influenza from which he never did fully recover. However at the end of the war, he did manage to visit Tidkinhow again.

In 1918, he was posted to San Antonio where he left the army. He and Edna went to live at Plymouth, Indiana, but by then he had developed lung trouble. He began to make a living at carpentry. In 1919, he moved to the west coast to try to get to a better climate and to be near Edna's parents. Jim built them a house at Los Angeles and then he built one for himself. At this time, Jim was working in an architect's office and at the same time, he was attending the University of California in Los Angeles. He did this until 1929 when his health began to give him serious trouble and the doctors said he must live in a really dry climate.

Their first child, Hazel Jane, was born in Los Angeles on September 1922 and their second, James, on December 1923. Mary was born in 1926.

The family moved to a ranch in the desert at Las Vegas in 1929. Life became a hard struggle for Jim and he did the best he could as a 'finish carpenter'. In 1930, they moved into Las Vegas and built a house. In 1931, the family drove by car to visit the family in Alberta, Canada, where Jim's youngest brother and sister, Alfred and Grace, had by then joined Martin, George and Kate. It was remembered as quite a reunion




Martin, James, Kate, Grace, George and Alfred at Kate's homestead near Trochu, Canada during Jim's visit in 1931 (Jim's car)


In 1932, their fourth child, Gordon, was born. Although still a finish carpenter, Jim had become Business Agent for the Carpenter's Union. It was in this year that he first became involved in the Boulder Dam project. In 1935 their fifth child and second daughter, Doris, was born. Jim was now proving himself to be an efficient administrator through his work with the Carpenter's Union and the Boulder Dam Project. He developed a reputation for reliability and honesty. Accordingly, in 1936, he was elected to the Nevada State Assembly. This now gave him a very full life where at last he could exercise his ability and knowledge, even though he was still troubled by ill health. After a four year period, he was re-elected for a second term, in 1940; a great honour and he was by then a recognised leader of Nevada State. In 1942, he was elected to serve in the Nevada State Senate and was to complete a four year term, until 1946. He did much work on housing projects in the State and never forgot the World War One veterans.

In 1951, he and his daughter, Hazel Jane (always known as Janie) visited Canada again. By this time, his younger brother, Alfred had returned to England. Then in 1954 and for the first time, since the end of the First World War, he visited England. This was a memorable visit which meant so much to him. He went again to Tidkinhow and to stay with those members of the family who had remained in England. In 1955, he again visited Canada, with his two daughters, Janie and Mary.

But tragedy struck in September 1955 when his daughter, Doris, was killed in a motor accident at the age of twenty. Jim took this very hard indeed and never really recovered from it.

In September 1958, his younger brother, Alfred and his wife, Peggy called to see him at Las Vegas while on a visit to Canada. At this time, Jim was still active with the Carpenter's Union, the Housing Authority and the Veterans. He was at this time a member of the Labour Council.

In 1961, Jim again visited Canada for what was to be the last time. His health by then was deteriorating badly. Jim died at his home, 922 San Casino Centre Boulevard, Las Vegas on 20 January 1967, aged 81. He is buried at Mount View Gardens of Memory, Las Vegas. The funeral was on 23 January and was taken by the Reverend Douglass Harrell of the First Methodist Church at Bunker Brothers Chapel at 1pm.

By his own efforts Jim achieved much. He pioneered in Canada and America, got himself qualified through university, fought for his country and rose through the Nevada State Assembly to the Senate. He was always dogged by his ill health, but his courage and ability kept him going.

His wife, Edna, died at Austin, Texas, where she was in a home near her daughter, Janie, in 1980.

Jim's family were the first of a new generation of Farndales. His son, Jim, had no family, but his son Gordon had a son, Mark





Las Vegas in 2016




The Hoover Dam (Originally the Boulder Dam Project)


Hoover Dam is a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, on the border between the U.S. states of Nevada and Arizona. It was constructed between 1931 and 1936 during the Great Depression and was dedicated on September 30, 1935, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Its construction was the result of a massive effort involving thousands of workers, and cost over one hundred lives. Originally known as Boulder Dam from 1933, it was officially renamed Hoover Dam, for President Herbert Hoover, by a joint resolution of Congress in 1947.


Since about 1900, the Black Canyon and nearby Boulder Canyon had been investigated for their potential to support a dam that would control floods, provide irrigation water and produce hydroelectric power. In 1928, Congress authorized the project. The winning bid to build the dam was submitted by a consortium called Six Companies, Inc., which began construction on the dam in early 1931. Such a large concrete structure had never been built before, and some of the techniques were unproven. The torrid summer weather and lack of facilities near the site also presented difficulties. Nevertheless, Six Companies turned the dam over to the federal government on March 1, 1936, more than two years ahead of schedule.


Hoover Dam impounds Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the United States by volume (when it is full). The dam is located near Boulder City, Nevada, a municipality originally constructed for workers on the construction project, about 30 mi (48 km) southeast of Las Vegas, Nevada. The dam's generators provide power for public and private utilities in Nevada, Arizona, and California. Hoover Dam is a major tourist attraction; nearly a million people tour the dam each year. The heavily traveled U.S. Route 93 (US 93) ran along the dam's crest until October 2010, when the Hoover Dam Bypass opened


Search for resources


As the United States developed the Southwest, the Colorado River was seen as a potential source of irrigation water. An initial attempt at diverting the river for irrigation purposes occurred in the late 1890s, when land speculator William Beatty built the Alamo Canal just north of the Mexican border; the canal dipped into Mexico before running to a desolate area Beatty named the Imperial Valley.[7] Though water from the Imperial Canal allowed for the widespread settlement of the valley, the canal proved expensive to maintain. After a catastrophic breach that caused the Colorado River to fill the Salton Sea,[8] the Southern Pacific Railroad spent $3 million in 1906–07 to stabilize the waterway, an amount it hoped in vain would be reimbursed by the Federal Government. Even after the waterway was stabilized, it proved unsatisfactory because of constant disputes with landowners on the Mexican side of the border.


River view of the future dam site, c. 1904


As the technology of electric power transmission improved, the Lower Colorado was considered for its hydroelectric-power potential. In 1902, the Edison Electric Company of Los Angeles surveyed the river in the hope of building a 40-foot (12 m) rock dam which could generate 10,000 horsepower (7,500 kW). However, at the time, the limit of transmission of electric power was 80 miles (130 km), and there were few customers (mostly mines) within that limit. Edison allowed land options it held on the river to lapse—including an option for what became the site of Hoover Dam.


In the following years, the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR), known as the Reclamation Service at the time, also considered the Lower Colorado as the site for a dam. Service chief Arthur Powell Davis proposed using dynamite to collapse the walls of Boulder Canyon,[11] 20 miles (32 km) north of the eventual dam site, into the river.[12] The river would carry off the smaller pieces of debris, and a dam would be built incorporating the remaining rubble. In 1922, after considering it for several years, the Reclamation Service finally rejected the proposal, citing doubts about the unproven technique and questions as to whether it would in fact save money.

Planning and agreements[edit]


Sketch of the proposed dam site and reservoir, c. 1921


In 1922, the Reclamation Service presented a report calling for the development of a dam on the Colorado River for flood control and electric power generation. The report was principally authored by Davis, and was called the Fall-Davis report after Interior Secretary Albert Fall. The Fall-Davis report cited use of the Colorado River as a federal concern because the river's basin covered several states, and the river eventually entered Mexico. Though the Fall-Davis report called for a dam "at or near Boulder Canyon", the Reclamation Service (which was renamed the Bureau of Reclamation the following year) found that canyon unsuitable.[14] One potential site at Boulder Canyon was bisected by a geologic fault; two others were so narrow there was no space for a construction camp at the bottom of the canyon[14] or for a spillway. The Service investigated Black Canyon and found it ideal; a railway could be laid from the railhead in Las Vegas to the top of the dam site.[15] Despite the site change, the dam project was referred to as the "Boulder Canyon Project".


With little guidance on water allocation from the Supreme Court, proponents of the dam feared endless litigation. A Colorado attorney proposed that the seven states which fell within the river's basin (California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming) form an interstate compact, with the approval of Congress. Such compacts were authorized by Article I of the United States Constitution but had never been concluded among more than two states. In 1922, representatives of seven states met with then-Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover. Initial talks produced no result, but when the Supreme Court handed down the Wyoming v. Colorado decision undermining the claims of the upstream states, they became anxious to reach an agreement. The resulting Colorado River Compact was signed on November 24, 1922.


Legislation to authorize the dam was introduced repeatedly by two California Republicans, Representative Phil Swing and Senator Hiram Johnson, but representatives from other parts of the country considered the project as hugely expensive and one that would mostly benefit California. The 1927 Mississippi flood made Midwestern and Southern congressmen and senators more sympathetic toward the dam project. On March 12, 1928, the failure of the St. Francis Dam, constructed by the city of Los Angeles, caused a disastrous flood that killed up to 600 people. As that dam was a curved-gravity type, similar in design to the arch-gravity as was proposed for the Black Canyon dam, opponents claimed that the Black Canyon dam's safety could not be guaranteed. Congress authorized a board of engineers to review plans for the proposed dam. The Colorado River Board found the project feasible, but warned that should the dam fail, every downstream Colorado River community would be destroyed, and that the river might change course and empty into the Salton Sea. The Board cautioned: "To avoid such possibilities, the proposed dam should be constructed on conservative if not ultra-conservative lines."


On December 21, 1928, President Coolidge signed the bill authorizing the dam. The Boulder Canyon Project Act appropriated $165 million for the Hoover Dam along with the downstream Imperial Dam and All-American Canal, a replacement for Beatty's canal entirely on the U.S. side of the border. It also permitted the compact to go into effect when at least six of the seven states approved it. This occurred on March 6, 1929, with Utah's ratification; Arizona did not approve it until 1944.


Design, preparation and contracting



Hoover Dam architectural plans


Even before Congress approved the Boulder Canyon Project, the Bureau of Reclamation was considering what kind of dam should be used. Officials eventually decided on a massive concrete arch-gravity dam, the design of which was overseen by the Bureau's chief design engineer John L. Savage. The monolithic dam would be thick at the bottom and thin near the top, and would present a convex face towards the water above the dam. The curving arch of the dam would transmit the water's force into the abutments, in this case the rock walls of the canyon. The wedge-shaped dam would be 660 ft (200 m) thick at the bottom, narrowing to 45 ft (14 m) at the top, leaving room for a highway connecting Nevada and Arizona.


On January 10, 1931, the Bureau made the bid documents available to interested parties, at five dollars a copy. The government was to provide the materials; but the contractor was to prepare the site and build the dam. The dam was described in minute detail, covering 100 pages of text and 76 drawings. A $2 million bid bond was to accompany each bid; the winner would have to post a $5 million performance bond. The contractor had seven years to build the dam, or penalties would ensue.


The Wattis Brothers, heads of the Utah Construction Company, were interested in bidding on the project, but lacked the money for the performance bond. They lacked sufficient resources even in combination with their longtime partners, Morrison-Knudsen, which employed the nation's leading dam builder, Frank Crowe. They formed a joint venture to bid for the project with Pacific Bridge Company of Portland, OregonHenry J. Kaiser & W. A. Bechtel Company of San Francisco; MacDonald & Kahn Ltd. of Los Angeles; and the J.F. Shea Company of Portland, Oregon.[26] The joint venture was called Six Companies, Inc. as Bechtel and Kaiser were considered one company for purposes of Six in the name. The name was descriptive and was an inside joke among the San Franciscans in the bid, where "Six Companies" was also a Chinese benevolent association in the city.[27] There were three valid bids, and Six Companies' bid of $48,890,955 was the lowest, within $24,000 of the confidential government estimate of what the dam would cost to build, and five million dollars less than the next-lowest bid.


The city of Las Vegas had lobbied hard to be the headquarters for the dam construction, closing its many speakeasies when the decision maker, Secretary of the Interior Ray Wilbur, came to town. Instead, Wilbur announced in early 1930 that a model city was to be built in the desert near the dam site. This town became known as Boulder City, Nevada. Construction of a rail line joining Las Vegas and the dam site began in September 1930.[29]



Labor force




Workers on a "Jumbo Rig"; used for drilling Hoover Dam's tunnels


"Apache Indians employed as high-scalers on the construction of Hoover Dam." – NARA


Soon after the dam was authorized, increasing numbers of unemployed people converged on southern Nevada. Las Vegas, then a small city of some 5,000, saw between 10,000 and 20,000 unemployed descend on it.[30] A government camp was established for surveyors and other personnel near the dam site; this soon became surrounded by a squatters' camp. Known as McKeeversville, the camp was home to men hoping for work on the project, together with their families. Another camp, on the flats along the Colorado River, was officially called Williamsville, but was known to its inhabitants as "Ragtown".[32] When construction began, Six Companies hired large numbers of workers, with more than 3,000 on the payroll by 1932[33] and with employment peaking at 5,251 in July 1934. "Mongolian" (Chinese) labor was prevented by the construction contract,[34] while the number of blacks employed by Six Companies never exceeded thirty, mostly lowest-pay-scale laborers in a segregated crew, who were issued separate water buckets.[35]

As part of the contract, Six Companies, Inc. was to build Boulder City to house the workers. The original timetable called for Boulder City to be built before the dam project began, but President Hoover ordered work on the dam to begin in March 1931 rather than in October.[36] The company built bunkhouses, attached to the canyon wall, to house 480 single men at what became known as River Camp. Workers with families were left to provide their own accommodations until Boulder City could be completed, and many lived in Ragtown. The site of Hoover Dam endures extremely hot weather, and the summer of 1931 was especially torrid, with the daytime high averaging 119.9 °F (48.8 °C).[39] Sixteen workers and other riverbank residents died of heat prostration between June 25 and July 26, 1931.



General Superintendent Frank Crowe (right) with Bureau of Reclamation engineer Walker Young in 1935


The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW or "Wobblies"), though much-reduced from their heyday as militant labor organizers in the early years of the century, hoped to unionize the Six Companies workers by capitalizing on their discontent. They sent eleven organizers, several of whom were arrested by Las Vegas police.[42]On August 7, 1931, the company cut wages for all tunnel workers. Although the workers sent away the organizers, not wanting to be associated with the "Wobblies", they formed a committee to represent them with the company. The committee drew up a list of demands that evening and presented them to Crowe the following morning. He was noncommittal. The workers hoped that Crowe, the general superintendent of the job, would be sympathetic; instead he gave a scathing interview to a newspaper, describing the workers as "malcontents".


On the morning of the 9th, Crowe met with the committee and told them that management refused their demands, was stopping all work, and was laying off the entire work force, except for a few office workers and carpenters. The workers were given until 5 p.m. to vacate the premises. Concerned that a violent confrontation was imminent, most workers took their paychecks and left for Las Vegas to await developments. Two days later, the remainder were talked into leaving by law enforcement. On August 13, the company began hiring workers again, and two days later, the strike was called off. While the workers received none of their demands, the company guaranteed there would be no further reductions in wages. Living conditions began to improve as the first residents moved into Boulder City in late 1931.


A second labor action took place in July 1935, as construction on the dam wound down. When a Six Companies manager altered working times to force workers to take lunch on their own time, workers responded with a strike. Emboldened by Crowe's reversal of the lunch decree, workers raised their demands to include a $1-per-day raise. The company agreed to ask the Federal government to supplement the pay, but no money was forthcoming from Washington. The strike ended.


River diversion



Overview of dam mechanisms; diversion tunnels shown


Before the dam could be built, the Colorado River needed to be diverted away from the construction site. To accomplish this, four diversion tunnels were driven through the canyon walls, two on the Nevada side and two on the Arizona side. These tunnels were 56 ft (17 m) in diameter. Their combined length was nearly 16,000 ft, or more than 3 miles (5 km). The contract required these tunnels to be completed by October 1, 1933, with a $3,000-per-day fine to be assessed for any delay. To meet the deadline, Six Companies had to complete work by early 1933, since only in late fall and winter was the water level in the river low enough to safely divert.


Tunneling began at the lower portals of the Nevada tunnels in May 1931. Shortly afterward, work began on two similar tunnels in the Arizona canyon wall. In March 1932, work began on lining the tunnels with concrete. First the base, or invert, was poured. Gantry cranes, running on rails through the entire length of each tunnel were used to place the concrete. The sidewalls were poured next. Movable sections of steel forms were used for the sidewalls. Finally, using pneumatic guns, the overheads were filled in. The concrete lining is 3 feet (1 m) thick, reducing the finished tunnel diameter to 50 ft (15 m).[49] The river was diverted into the two Arizona tunnels on November 13, 1932; the Nevada tunnels were kept in reserve for high water. This was done by exploding a temporary cofferdam protecting the Arizona tunnels while at the same time dumping rubble into the river until its natural course was blocked.


Following the completion of the dam, the entrances to the two outer diversion tunnels were sealed at the opening and halfway through the tunnels with large concrete plugs. The downstream halves of the tunnels following the inner plugs are now the main bodies of the spillway tunnels. The inner diversion tunnels were plugged at approximately one-third of their length, beyond which they now carry steel pipes connecting the intake towers to the power plant and outlet works.[48] The inner tunnels' outlets are equipped with gates that can be closed to drain the tunnels for maintenance.


Groundworks, rock clearance and grout curtain


To protect the construction site from the Colorado River and to facilitate the river's diversion, two cofferdams were constructed. Work on the upper cofferdam began in September 1932, even though the river had not yet been diverted. The cofferdams were designed to protect against the possibility of the river's flooding a site at which two thousand men might be at work, and their specifications were covered in the bid documents in nearly as much detail as the dam itself. The upper cofferdam was 96 ft (29 m) high, and 750 feet (230 m) thick at its base, thicker than the dam itself. It contained 650,000 cubic yards (500,000 m3) of material.



Looking down at "high scalers" above the Colorado River


When the cofferdams were in place and the construction site was drained of water, excavation for the dam foundation began. For the dam to rest on solid rock, it was necessary to remove accumulated erosion soils and other loose materials in the riverbed until sound bedrock was reached. Work on the foundation excavations was completed in June 1933. During this excavation, approximately 1,500,000 cu yd (1,100,000 m3) of material was removed. Since the dam was an arch-gravity type, the side-walls of the canyon would bear the force of the impounded lake. Therefore, the side-walls were excavated too, to reach virgin rock, as weathered rock might provide pathways for water seepage. Shovels for the excavation came from the Marion Power Shovel Company.


The men who removed this rock were called "high scalers". While suspended from the top of the canyon with ropes, the high-scalers climbed down the canyon walls and removed the loose rock with jackhammers and dynamite. Falling objects were the most common cause of death on the dam site; the high scalers' work thus helped ensure worker safety.[55] One high scaler was able to save a life in a more direct manner: when a government inspector lost his grip on a safety line and began tumbling down a slope towards almost certain death, a high scaler was able to intercept him and pull him into the air. The construction site had, even then, become a magnet for tourists; the high scalers were prime attractions and showed off for the watchers. The high scalers received considerable media attention, with one worker dubbed the "Human Pendulum" for swinging co-workers (and, at other times, cases of dynamite) across the canyon. To protect themselves against falling objects, some high scalers took cloth hats and dipped them in tar, allowing them to harden. When workers wearing such headgear were struck hard enough to inflict broken jaws, they sustained no skull damage. Six Companies ordered thousands of what initially were called "hard boiled hats" (later "hard hats") and strongly encouraged their use


The cleared, underlying rock foundation of the dam site was reinforced with grout, called a grout curtain. Holes were driven into the walls and base of the canyon, as deep as 150 feet (46 m) into the rock, and any cavities encountered were to be filled with grout. This was done to stabilize the rock, to prevent water from seeping past the dam through the canyon rock, and to limit "uplift"—upward pressure from water seeping under the dam. The workers were under severe time constraints due to the beginning of the concrete pour, and when they encountered hot springs or cavities too large to readily fill, they moved on without resolving the problem. A total of 58 of the 393 holes were incompletely filled. After the dam was completed and the lake began to fill, large numbers of significant leaks into the dam caused the Bureau of Reclamation to look into the situation. It found that the work had been incompletely done, and was based on less than a full understanding of the canyon's geology. New holes were drilled from inspection galleries inside the dam into the surrounding bedrock. It took nine years (1938–47) under relative secrecy to complete the supplemental grout curtain.






Columns of Hoover Dam being filled with concrete, February 1934 (looking upstream from the Nevada rim)


The first concrete was poured into the dam on June 6, 1933, 18 months ahead of schedule. Since concrete heats and contracts as it cures, the potential for uneven cooling and contraction of the concrete posed a serious problem. Bureau of Reclamation engineers calculated that if the dam were to be built in a single continuous pour, the concrete would take 125 years to cool, and the resulting stresses would cause the dam to crack and crumble. Instead, the ground where the dam would rise was marked with rectangles, and concrete blocks in columns were poured, some as large as 50 ft square (15 m) and 5 feet (1.5 m) high.[62] Each five-foot form contained a series of 1-inch (25 mm) steel pipes; cool riverwater would be poured through the pipes, followed by ice-cold water from a refrigeration plant. When an individual block had cured and had stopped contracting, the pipes were filled with grout. Grout was also used to fill the hairline spaces between columns, which were grooved to increase the strength of the joins.


The concrete was delivered in huge steel buckets 7 feet high (2.1 m) and almost 7 feet in diameter; Crowe was awarded two patents for their design. These buckets, which weighed 20 short tons (18 t) when full, were filled at two massive concrete plants on the Nevada side, and were delivered to the site in special railcars. The buckets were then suspended from aerial cableways which were used to deliver the bucket to a specific column. As the required grade of aggregate in the concrete differed depending on placement in the dam (from pea-sized gravel to 9-inch or 23 cm stones), it was vital that the bucket be maneuvered to the proper column. When the bottom of the bucket opened up, disgorging 8 cu yd (6.1 m3) of concrete, a team of men worked it throughout the form. Although there are myths that men were caught in the pour and are entombed in the dam to this day, each bucket deepened the concrete in a form by only an inch, and Six Companies engineers would not have permitted a flaw caused by the presence of a human body.


A total of 3,250,000 cubic yards (2,480,000 cubic metres) of concrete was used in the dam before concrete pouring ceased on May 29, 1935. In addition, 1,110,000 cu yd (850,000 m3) were used in the power plant and other works. More than 582 miles (937 km) of cooling pipes were placed within the concrete. Overall, there is enough concrete in the dam to pave a two-lane highway from San Francisco to New York.[48] Concrete cores were removed from the dam for testing in 1995; they showed that "Hoover Dam's concrete has continued to slowly gain strength" and the dam is composed of a "durable concrete having a compressive strength exceeding the range typically found in normal mass concrete".[65] Hoover Dam concrete is not subject to alkali–silica reaction (ASR), as the Hoover Dam builders happened to use nonreactive aggregate, unlike that at downstream Parker Dam, where ASR has caused measurable deterioration.


Dedication and completion



The upstream face of Hoover Dam slowly disappears as Lake Mead fills, May 1935 (looking downstream from the Arizona rim)


With most work finished on the dam itself (the powerhouse remained uncompleted), a formal dedication ceremony was arranged for September 30, 1935, to coincide with a western tour being made by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The morning of the dedication, it was moved forward three hours from 2 p.m. Pacific time to 11 a.m.; this was done because Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes had reserved a radio slot for the President for 2 p.m. but officials did not realize until the day of the ceremony that the slot was for 2 p.m. Eastern Time.[66] Despite the change in the ceremony time, and temperatures of 102 °F (39 °C), 10,000 people were present for the President's speech, in which he avoided mentioning the name of former President Hoover,[67] who was not invited to the ceremony.[68] To mark the occasion, a three-cent stamp was issued by the United States Post Office Department—bearing the name "Boulder Dam", the official name of the dam between 1933 and 1947.[69] After the ceremony, Roosevelt made the first visit by any American president to Las Vegas.


Most work had been completed by the dedication, and Six Companies negotiated with the government through late 1935 and early 1936 to settle all claims and arrange for the formal transfer of the dam to the Federal Government. The parties came to an agreement and on March 1, 1936, Secretary Ickes formally accepted the dam on behalf of the government. Six Companies was not required to complete work on one item, a concrete plug for one of the bypass tunnels, as the tunnel had to be used to take in irrigation water until the powerhouse went into operation



Flying over the Hoover dam in 2016


 Extract from the Las Vegas Review Journal 26 January 1967

Southern Nevada loses devoted public servants

This was a sad week for old time southern Nevadans.

Two Men who left rich legacies of public service in widely differing fields were buried. Both were born in England. Both built a home, family and gave almost half a century of service to southern Nevada.

Their loss will be felt.


Jim Farndale took care of the people who were poor, needed a job and a place to live they could afford.

A life of service with labor, the poor, veterans and the homeless called to Jim Farndale. During the 1930s when Boulder Dam brought a surge of craftsmen to southern Nevada, Farndale helped hammer out a strong carpenters union. As a business agent, he became a guiding force in the Central Labor Council and Building and Trades Council.

Farndale went to the Nevada Assembly twice and then was elected to the state senate. His name was engraved on the enabling legislation that created the federal housing authorities for Clark County and Las Vegas.

Farndale later became executive director of the Clark County Federal Housing Authority which operated units in the city. These homes for the struggling poor of Henderson will serve as appropriate monuments to his life.

He was a leader of veterans organisations, and above all held a reputation of being dependable and absolutely trustworthy.

Another page has turned and those who guided the middle years in the growth of this community are beginning to leave us



 Sunday 22 January 1967

James Farndale Rites Scheduled for tomorrow

Funeral for James Farndale is set for tomorrow, 1pm at Bunker Brothers Chapel with the Reverend Douglas Harrell, of the First Methodist Church, officiating.

Farndale, a 38 year resident of Southern Nevada, died Friday in his home at 922 South Casino Center Boulevard. He was 81.

Well known in legislative, labor and veterans circles, Farndale was instrumental in helping to establish many of their standard practices today.

He is survived by his wife, Edna, two sons, James and Gordon, and two daughters, Mrs John Rydell and Mrs Sam Mentzer, all residing out of state; two brothers Alfred and John Farndale, and three sisters, Mrs Dorothy Ross, Mrs Mary Brown and Mrs Grace Holmes all residing in England and Canada.

Farndale was a business agent for Carpenters Local 1780 in Las Vegas during the 1930s and later rose to prominence as a member of the Central Labor Council, the Building Trades Council and the Governor's Board of Labor Relations.

He was elected to the Nevada Assembly in 1936 and again in 1940. Farndale was also a member of the state senate from 1942 to 1946.

In addition to these functions, Farndale was executive director of the Federal Housing Authority here and served on the Clark County Housing Authority as well.

He was a life member, past commander and past department commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, member of the American Legion, Veterans of World War One, Disabled Veterans and the First Methodist Church.

Farndale was born in Yorkshire, England. He will be buried in Mount View Gardens of Memory



 Las Vegas Review Journal Sunday 22 January 1967

Farndale Services Set Monday

Former state senator James Farndale, 81, will be buried Monday in Mount View Gardens of Memory cemetery. Reverend Douglass Harrell of the First Methodist Church will conduct 1pm services in Bunker Brothers Chapel.

Mr Farndale died Friday in his home at 922 S Casino Blvd.

He served two terms in the Nevada Assembly (1936-38 and 1940-42) and one term in the state Senate (1942-1946). He was also once the executive director of the Clark County Housing Authority.

A carpenter from Yorkshire, Farndale represented Carpenters Local 1780 on the Central Labor Council, the governor's Labor Relations Board and the Building and Trades Council.

He was a veteran of World War One.

He is survived by his wife, Edna, two sons, James of Dallas, Texas, and Gordon of Canoga Park, California; two daughters, Mrs John E Rydell of Athens, Texas, and Mrs Sam Mentzer of Glendale, California, two brothers Alfred and John both in England; and three sisters, Mrs Dorothy Ross, Mrs Mary Brown and Mrs Grace Holmes, all in England



Senate Concurrent Resolution No 9 - Senators Brown, Alleman, Bunker, Christensea, Gibson, Hecht, Herr and Lamb

File Number 23

Senate Concurrent Resolution - Memorialising the late Senator James Farndale

Whereas, The members of the 54th session of legislature of the State of Nevada have learned with deep regret and sorrow of the death of former Senator James Farndale on January 20, 1967, in Las Vegas, Nevada; and

Whereas Senator Farndale, born in Yorkshire, England, migrated to the United States of America to become a most respected resident of Southern Nevada, for 28 years; and

Whereas James Farndale distinguished himself in federal, state and local government service, as executive director of the Federal Housing Authority in Clark County, as assemblyman from Clark County in 1937 and 1941 regular sessions, as senator from Clark County in the 1943 and 1945 regular sessions, as a member of the Governor's Board of Labor Relations, and as a member of the Clark County Housing Authority; and

Whereas, He achieved prominence for his contributions in the development of organised labor in this state while a member of the Central Labor Council and the Buildings Trades Council in Las Vegas, Nevada; and

Whereas as the late Senator James Farndale was loyal and dedicated to his country, he was a life member, past commander and past department commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the American Legion, Veterans of World War One, and Disabled American Veterans; and

Whereas James Farndale was a man of integrity, ability and courage always following the strength of his convictions, whose presence will be deeply missed in our state; now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate of the State of Nevada, the Assembly concurring, That the members of the 54th session of legislature of the State of Nevada hereby express their condolences to the family and surviving relatives of the late Senator James Farndale; and be it further

Resolved, that copies of this resolution be prepared and transmitted forthwith by the legislative counsel to the widow and surviving children of the deceased, Mrs Edna Farndale, Mrs John Rydell, Mrs Sam Mentzer, Mr Gordon Farndale and Mr James Farndale.




 Nevada Southern University

Las Vegas

1 February 1967


Dear Mrs Farndale

The library at Nevada Southern University has received funds for the purchase of a Volume in memory of your husband.

We have added a volume in the Far West and Rockies Series to our Western America collection. This volume bears a special memorial plate for Mr Farndale.

Our Western Collection is heavily used by our students faculty. We at Nevada Southern University feel truly honoured in being selected as part of the memorial to Mr Farndale.

Mrs James Farndale

92250 Casino Center Blvd

Las Vegas




Alan Bikle

United States Senate


Dear Mrs Farndale

Mrs Bikle and I were saddened to learbn of the recent death of your husband.

While there is little one can say or do to ease your loss at this time, we do want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

As you know, Jim was a dear, loyal and devoted friend of ours


Alan Bikle



United States Senate, Washington

Dear Mrs Farndale

Please accept heartfelt condolences on the death of your husband.

He was indeed a man of his times who participated in the problems of his day, and committed himself to a set of principles and a course of action. He left a record of significant accomplishments and long lasting influences on the institutions and programmes with which he was associated.

I do hope that the sorrow over your loss will be eased by his good and rich life.

Mrs Cannon joins me in the expression of sincere sympathy to you and your family.

Howard Cannon