Farmer of Gillingwood Hall

 

William Farndale
25 April 1875 to 6 February 1948 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FAR00531

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

Born

 

William Farndale baptised, St Agatha’s Church, Gilling West, near Richmond son of Charles and Ann Farndale of Kilton (FAR00341).

(BR and census)

William Farndale registered Guisbro District Apr - Jun 1875

(GRO Vol 9d page 466 - 1837 online)


 

Lived

 

Census 1891- Kilton Hall Farm:

William Farndale. Son of Charles and Ann Farndale (FAR00341) of Kilton Hall farm, age 15, born Kilton.


 

Married

William Farndale, married Ada Fawell about 1899.

(Letters)


 

Lived

 

Lived at ?? Farm Gilling West

The birth Certificate of their son Charles showed that they lived in 1905 at Gillingwood Hall, Gilling (near Richmond) and William was then a farmer

(Letters)


 

Family

Annie Farndale, born Richmond Y 21 Jan 1900 (FAR00700).

Beatrice Farndale, born Malton District ?? 1902 (FAR00711).

Charles Farndale, born Gilling 10 Sep 1905 (FAR00734).

Edith Farndale, born Richmond Y 7 Aug 1910 (FAR00764).

(BR)


 

Died

William Farndale died Gilling West near Richmond 6 Feb 1948, age 72.

(DR and PR)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8/135 Gillingwood Hall
4.2.69
GV II

Farmhouse. Late C18 - early C19, with reused early C18 doorcase. For the Wharton family. Roughcast rubble, stone slate and C20 pantile roofs. T-
shaped plan. 2 storeys, 3:1 bays. Main house, to left: central 6-panel door below 4-pane overlight in ashlar architrave extended upwards around
blank panel and with pediment above supported on consoles. Ground-floor sill band. 16-pane sash windows, except centre bay on first floor which is of 8
panes. Ashlar coping. Stone slate roof. End stacks. To right, lower 2- storey bay with 16-pane sash window on ground floor and 12-pane unequally-
hung window on first floor, pantile roof with stone slates at eaves. Further to right, C20 single-storey bay not of special interest. To rear right of main house, wing giving M-shaped roof to house. The name of the farm comes from the mansion of the Wharton family (Old Gillingwood Hall), which burned down in 1750, and part of the site of which is occupied by the farmhouse.