William Farndale
29 January 1892 to 22 November 1918

The Tidkinhow Line 















Served in the Canadian Army in WW1 and died of flu epidemic shortly after the War ended 


A group of people posing for a photo

Description automatically generated


Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB



Follow this link to the Farndales of Tidkinhow




William Farndale, son of Martin and Catherine Farndale (FAR00364) born Tidkinhow Farm, 29 Jan 1892.

(BR and family knowledge)

William Farndale registered Guisbro District Apr-Jun 1891

(GRO Vol 9d page ? - 1837 online)


1901 Census – Tidkinhow Farm, Stanghow


William shown aged 10.


1911 Census – Tidkinhow, Boosbeck


William shown now aged 20, a butcher



William Farndale, was a butcher at Guisborough before he went to Alberta Canada about 1913. He moved to Earl Grey near Regina, Saskatchewan in 1914 and continued his trade as a butcher.

(Family knowledge)


In 1913 William arrived in Canada, but he went to Early Grey in Saskatchewan.


He is shown on the passenger list on the Victorian, a ship on the Allan Line, departing 13 August 1913 from Liverpool to Quebec, a labourer, aged 22.


He taught with the Canadian Army in World War I, where he was wounded, and he died in 1918 and is buried in Earl Grey. He was unmarried. (Our Huxley Heritage)


Military Service;

William Farndale, joined the Canadian Army on 19 April 1916 at Regina, Saskatchewan and went to France. He was wounded in action at Vimy Ridge on 13 December 1916 while serving with the 28th Battalion; he had a gunshot wound in the right forearm and was in hospital in Epsom, England. He was discharged from the Army at Calgary on 18 Feb 1918. He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. After his return to Regina, he used his car to evacuate the sick during the great ‘flu epidemic of 1918. He caught the ‘flu while still weak from his wound and died at Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada, aged 25 years on 23 Nov 1918.

(Record of Service)


The ninth member of the family of Martin and Catherine was born on 29 January 1892. His parents called him William after the child who had died two years before. As with the others, he went first to Charltons School and then to Boosbeck. He left at 14 in 1905. Soon after this, he became an apprentice butcher in Saltburn with a Mr Ormsby. He then served in a butcher's shop. Later he had a butchers shop in Charltons which he shared with his elder brother Jim. They then took another in Commondale. They began by sharing a bullock with a man in Guisborough who had a slaughter house. Later they were selling three bullocks a week and were well remembered in their horse drawn delivery van. Alfred remembered him at their mother's funeral (14 July 1911) as William consoled him.

In 1913 Jim went to Canada and shortly afterwards William followed to become the fifth member of the family to emigrate there. He first went to join Martin at Trochu and got himself a job there as an assistant butcher. What happened next is not clear, but it seems that in about 1914 he moved to Earl Grey in Saskatchewan, presumably to continue his trade as a butcher. At some time, probably 1915, he joined the army and went to France. His enlistment date is shown as 19 April 1916 at Regina, Saskatchewan.


He was wounded in action at Vimy Ridge on 13 December 1916, while serving with the 28th Battalion. All we know is that he was hit in the arm by an explosive bullet. His medical records show:

"Loss of function, right arm ... penetrating gun shot wound at forearm with compound commimuted fracture of radius ... bullet entered inner surface of forearm, two inches below elbow, and passed directly through the arm, coming out on the other side, and splintering the radius in its passage. Severe inflammation of the arm followed, and inflammation, and sequestrum formed and was removed. Had erysipilis while in hospital, 23rd CC Station, 24th General Hospital (British) Etaples from 17 Jan to 23 April 1917, Reading War Hospital from 23 April to 12 July 1917, MC Hospital Epsom, since 12 July 1917... wounds all healed. The wound and exit wound shows the remains of a sinus from the radius not discharging now. Has wrist drop, and is wearing a dorsiflexion splint. Flexion and extension of elbow are greatly limited and pronation and supination are absolutely stopped, in a position of partial supination. Is otherwise normal. (date of report 27 July 1917)".

Alfred, his younger brother, remembers asking for leave to visit him in hospital in Exeter, but since he was under orders himself for France, he was not allowed to go. Indeed later William went on leave to Trochu and
Tidkinhow and the family remember questioning him about France and the fact that Alfred was, by then, in Ypres.

He wrote from hospital, almost certainly in 1917, to his sister Grace:

"Left hand of course

Jan 12

Dear Sister

I will try and write to you. I find I am doing fairly well but I have got a very bad arm. I was hit with an explosive bullet which made a hole through two inches wide and broke both bones. They give me very little hope of my arm being any good but I hope it will not be so bad. I had an awful hard time in France. I had four operations in two weeks. They could not get it stopped bleeding and I got so weak that I could not feed myself. But I am alright now, but not able to get up yet for two weeks or so. I may have to have another operation. Not sure yet. Going to have my arm x-rayed shortly. I want you to write a letter for me to Sister Armstrong, 23 CCS, BEF, France. Give her my address and tell her I am getting along alright. This is not a very nice hospital, but good doctors. If you send a parcel, send me a toothbrush and hairbrush. I expect I will be here three months. I tried to get into Yorkshire so you could come and see me, but this is as far as I could get. If my arm does not get better it is likely I will get sent back to Canada in the Spring, but I will never see France any more. I am awful sorry that Alf had to go. If ever he gets to France I will want to go back again.

Your affectionate brother



We know that he returned to Earl Gray and that in the great flu epidemic of 1918 he drove patients to hospital, caught flu himself and died. The wording on his memorial situated in Earl Gray is very indistinct. It says:

“Farndale. 28th. In Memory of Pte Wm Farndale, 28th Batt. UEF. Died Nov 26th 1918, aged 25 years. Erected by his fellow Comrades and the citizens of Earl Grey and district, in grateful recognition of his services to King and Country.”

Actually the age is not quite right, since in November 1918 he would have been aged 26. William had been engaged to a girl in Earl Grey at the time of his death. She wrote to some members of the family but there was no trace of her since. William is remembered as different from the rest of the family, but still with the same characteristics of responsibility and reliability. His early death was tragic. We have his campaign medals (British War Medal and Victory Medal) from the Great War.


A close up of text on a white background

Description automatically generated




“Farndale. 28th. In Memory of Pte Wm Farndale, 28th Batt. UEF. Died Nov 26th 1918, aged 25 years. Erected by his fellow Comrades and the citizens of Earl Grey and district, in grateful recognition of his services to King and Country.”

(Mon R)


The gravestone of William Farndale at Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada



And with thanks to Catherine Paterson who sent me the following photographs in 2019:






A group of people posing for a photo

Description automatically generated


The boys of Tidkinhow in about 1910.


John, James, Alfred, William, George and inset Martin


























Photograph his medals and post here