Historical and geographical information





Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB



The Farndales of Northallerton


The following Farndales were associated with Northallerton:


Hannah Mary Farndale (FAR00595)


Ruth Farndale (FAR00619)


William Farndale (FAR00639)


William Farndale (FAR00665)


Albert Edward Farndale (FAR00667), Co-op store manager in Loftus and Northallerton


Sarah Elizabeth Farndale (FAR00693)


Doris M Farndale (FAR00807)


Herbert Farndale (FAR00835)


Bertram Farndale (FAR00855)


Edna Elizabeth Farndale (FAR00868)


Charles Farndale (FAR00875)


Kenneth Farndale (FAR00884)


Leslie Farndale (FAR00885)


Gladys Farndale (FAR00900)


William E Farndale (FAR00908)


Martin Baker Farndale (FAR00911)


Anne Farndale (FAR00915)


Rosamund Farndale (FAR00920)


Geoff Farndale (FAR00922)


John Francis Farndale (FAR00923)


Donald Farndale (FAR00947)


Sheila Farndale (FAR00983)


Keith Farndale (FAR00990)


John Martin Farndale (FAR01033)


Kathleen E Farndale (FAR01059)


Antony W Farndale (FAR001077)


David C Farndale (FAR01081)


Peter H Farndale (FAR01084)


James William Farndale (FAR01239)


Emily Victoria Farndale (FAR01253)


Fiona Christine Farndale (FAR01254)


Harriet Margaret Farndale (FAR01271)


Aimee Lian Farndale (FAR01293)


Stephanie Elizabeth Farndale (FAR01299)


Alys Rebecca Farndale (FAR01321)












Northallerton is a market town and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies in the Vale of Mowbray and at the northern end of the Vale of York. It had a population of 15,741 according to the 2001 census, which had risen to 16,832 in 2011. It has served as the county town of the North Riding of Yorkshire and since 1974, of North Yorkshire. Northallerton is made up of four wards, North, Broomfield, Romanby and Central.

There has been a settlement at Northallerton since Roman times, however its growth in importance began in the 11th century when King William II gifted land to the Bishop of Durham. Under the Bishop's authority Northallerton became an important centre for religious affairs. It was also a focus for much conflict in subsequent years between the English and the Scots, most notably the Battle of the Standard, nearby in 1138, which saw losses of as many as 12,000 men.


In later years trade and transport became more important. The surrounding area was discovered to have large phosphorus reserves which brought industry to Northallerton due to the easy trade routes. Lying on the main route between Edinburgh and London it became an important stopping point for coaches travelling the route, eventually superseded by the growth of the railways in the 19th century. Lying in the centre of a large rural area Northallerton was established as a market town in 1200 by Royal Charter, and there is still a market in the town today.


t became the market centre for the area and also drew traders from further afield to its four annual fairs (now reduced to two). Cattle drovers bringing cattle, horses and sheep from Northumbria and Scotland regularly came to the town. The original cattle market was by the church, but sheep were sold on High Street until the early part of the 20th century. With the arrival of the railway the mart was built close to the station, but this later closed and today the cattle market is held in Applegarth Court.


In the golden age of coaching, Northallerton had four coaching inns along High Street serving passengers and horses using several routes to the north. With the arrival of the railway in 1841 the town maintained its importance as a communications centre.


The line from London to Edinburgh via York and Newcastle passed through the town (as indeed it still does), as did the line linking the industrial West Riding with the port and steel town of Middlesbrough. It is now served by Northallerton railway station.